College of Arts and Sciences
March 20, 2013
Members present: J. Li, S. Rabin, R. Roebuck (Chair), R. Taylor, C. Tillquist, M. Rohmann, W. Yoder
Members absent: N. Ansari (A&S Student Council), R. Carini
Guests: G. Leichty (COMM), W. Partin (Transfer Admissions)
The minutes of the meetings of January 9 (as corrected), January 16, and February 13 were approved as distributed.
Wes Partin, Transfer Admissions, and the committee discussed a proposal for IB credit in the Department of Classical and Modern Languages . The proposal would provide credit for standard level IB examinations. The committee deferred action on the proposal pending information on effective date for the changes and a recommendation regarding the status of students who took the exam prior to the approval of standard level credit and whether or not it would be retroactive.
At the request of the department, requests for COMM 402: Speechwriting and COMM 349: On-line Journalism were removed from consideration.
Professor Leichty and the committee discussed the proposal for COMM 429: Intimate Communication. Action was deferred until additional information on the theoretical approaches of the course could be clarified.
The following course actions were approved, effective Summer 2014:
- FREN 590: Senior Capstone—CUE credit
- FREN 611: Teaching and Research Methods—description change
- HIST 399: Women in the Ancient World—new course
- HIST 344: Introduction to Ancient Egypt—new course
- JA 603: Criminal Justice Planning—number change to 703
- JA 640: Seminar in Crime Prevention—number change to 740
- JA 648: Seminar in Criminal Justice Program Evaluation—number change to 748
- JA 645: Advanced Theories of Crime—title and number change to 745)
- JA 651: Computer Applications in Criminal Justice (title and number change to 751)
- PSYC 444: Exploration of Self—WR credit