A&S Curriculum Committee Minutes January 12, 2011
College of Arts and Sciences
January 12, 2011
Members present: R. Carini, M. Coghill (A&S Student Council),G. Leichty, A. Miller, S. Rabin, R. Roebuck, M. Rohmann, R. Taylor, B. Williams (Chair)
Guests: M. Fisher (Bioinformatics), B. Fonesca-Greber (CML), T. Kalbfleish (Bioinformatics), T. K’Meyer (HIST), A. Mastri (CML), B. Patton (LING), D. Richards (AFROTC), T. Soldat-Jaffe (LING), E. Wise (HUM)
The committee welcomed Professor Roebuck, replacing Professor Willey for the semester, and Melonie Coghill, the new student representative.
The minutes of the meeting of December 1 were approved as distributed.
The committee approved the proposal to add Linguistics as an option in the areas in the B.A. in Humanities with concentration in Disciplinary Studies.
Action on the proposal for a capstone course in the B.A. in History was deferred for formulation of guidelines for CUE courses.
The following course actions were approved, effective Summer 2011.
- LING 328: Language Acquisition (new course)
- LING 330/ENGL 330: Language and Culture (new course)
- LING 361: Language and Social Identify (removed from agenda at request of department)
- LING 520/ENGL 520: World Englishes (new course)
- LING 535: Topics in Applied Linguistics (title/description/perquisite change and removal or cross-list)
- LING 570/ENGL 570: Language and Social Identity (new course)
- HUM 513: Comparative Religion (title/description change)
- HUM 613: Comparative Religion (title/description change)
- AIRS 110: Independent Study (new course)
- AIRS 210: Independent Study (new course)
- TA 526: Tools for a Global Theatre (new course)
- ARAB 321: Arabic Conversation: Communication in Cultural Context (new course)
- ARAB 322: Advanced Writing Techniques in Modern Standard Arabic (new course)
- JAPN 321: Japanese Conversation (new course)
- JAPN 322: Japanese Composition I (new course)
- JAPN 323: Japanese Composition II (new course)
- JAPN 355: Reading Japanese Texts (new course)
- RUSS 221: Intermediate Russian (number change to RUSS 123)
Action was deferred on FREN 621, pending clarification of how it would be applied to the M.A. in French and receipt of a more detailed syllabus.
The committee endorsed A&S participation in the Interdisciplinary Ph.D. in Bioinformatics.