ESSENCE Quick Facts
- The dates of the summer program are June 10th - June 28th from 10:00am- 4:00pm Monday through Friday. Transportation to and from campus is not provided.
- Parents (mother-figures) are also strongly encouraged to attend the Induction Ceremony on June 28th at 6:30pm at K.T.'s Restaurant. This is a Required event.
- There is no charge for participating in the program. There is a cost for food (there will be occasions where lunch may be provided, and participants are free to bring their own lunch).
- The program is a year-round program that is partnered with the UofL undergraduate students to provide big sisters who will guide and help develop leadership skills and the Cheikh Anta Diop Society for their cultural and academic development.
- There are 2-3 field trips planned for the participants, and transportation will be provided.
- Prospective participants are nominated by their school and selected based on their application and willingness to meet the expectations put forward by the program as well as independent community members who are interested and apply.
- The daily drop-off and pick-up point for the participants will be the Shumaker Research Building by Humanities and Gottschalk at the University of Louisville.
- Participants may engage in difficult conversations during the sessions, but the program is committed to providing a safe and confidential environment for all participants.