Mentored Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities Grant
Academic Year 2020 - 2021
Award: $1000.00 for a mentor; plus $500.00 for an early undergraduate researcher
Goals: To promote meaningful undergraduate research and/or creative activity experiences for first- or second-year students and provide graduate students, staff and faculty opportunities to mentor undergraduates.
We will fund teams of a mentor and undergraduate student mentee that meet the requirements described below. We will accept applications of interest from Mentors that do not have a mentee and from UG students that do not have a mentor. However, Teams will receive preference. Up to fourteen grants will be awarded each cycle.
Team application – use this application if you have a mentor and mentee ready to go
Mentor form – use this form if you are a mentor but need a mentee
Fall 2020 Monday, August 17
Spring 2021 Wednesday, January 6
- Fall 2020 project completion by the end of the semester and presentation at the UG Research Symposium in April
- Spring 2021 project completion and presentation by Research Day in first week of August
Requirements for ALL Mentors
- All Mentors applying as part of a team (Mentor-Mentee) will indicate the student with whom they will be working. The undergraduate research/creative activity mentee must be an A&S student majoring in any of the A&S disciplines who has been on our campus no more than four semesters (not including summer terms). Preference will be given to students with freshman or sophomore status.
- The undergraduate student mentee must be deeply involved with the research project or have a project of their own rather than act solely as an assistant. This must be made clear in the research project description.
- Mentors may be graduate students, staff or faculty but they must meet the specific requirements listed below. Proposals from applicants that do not meet these requirements will not be reviewed. Preference will be given to graduate student mentors.
Graduate Student Mentor Requirements
- A Graduate Student Applicant is a master’s or doctoral student from A&S or the Health Science Campus (Medical, Dental, Nursing) who will mentor an undergraduate student
- The graduate student applicant has permission from their major advisor/mentor to participate in the award activities
Staff Mentor Requirements
- Staff Applicants hold a terminal degree in the field of study (usually a Ph.D., MFA, etc.) and are from A&S, or Medical, Dental or Nursing colleges.
Faculty Mentor Requirements
- Preference will be given to graduate student mentors.
- Preference will be given to faculty that do not have Ph.D. or Master’s students in their department.
- Faculty mentors will NOT receive funding but their undergraduate mentee will receive $500.00 in support.
*Preference will be given to graduate student mentors.
Undergraduate Researcher Requirements
- The undergraduate student is a major in any of the A&S disciplines and has not been enrolled as an undergraduate at the University of Louisville for more than four semesters (not including summer terms). Preference will be given to students with freshman or sophomore status.
- The Dean’s Office will examine your UofL college transcript to verify your standing.
- A poster presentation by the undergraduate mentee at the Spring Research Showcase (Apr. 15, 2021) or the Summer Research Day (early August) is required.
- Both mentor and mentee will complete a survey at the end of the project, provide an electronic copy of the poster and will be asked to contribute to social media support for the program
- A portion of the award may be used to print the poster on campus
Interested Mentors, please complete the online form for your team.
Graduate Students: As a part of this form, you will be asked to agree that you have consulted with your graduate advisor/mentor and have their permission to pursue this opportunity.