International Service Learning & Research Program: Bosnia-Herzegovina/Croatia
NEW A&S Short-Term Travel Abroad Course.
ACT FAST --- There are only a few spaces left!!!
NEW A&S Short-Term Travel Abroad Course: International Service Learning & Research Program: Bosnia-Herzegovina/Croatia.
If you are an undergraduate student interested in Peace Psychology, transitional justice, intergroup contact, and international travel to Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, this 2014 Summer Term (May-June) course may be for you. Based on the pedagogical model of learning-through-doing, 6-12 students will gain practical service-learning experience participating in the Peace Event Sarajevo 2014 ( to be held in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina from June 6-9, 2014) and working directly on a faculty member’s on-going research project. Students will develop knowledge of the impact that intergroup contact has in assisting conflict resolution, behavioral and mental health, and multicultural psychology.
(1) Application is open to Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, Justice Administration, Religious Studies, and Liberal Studies Majors and Minors.
(2) Prerequisites include:
*Cumulative and Major GPA of 3.0
*Completion of PSYC201, PSYC301, and PSYC302 – or -- the prerequisite courses can be fulfilled within your MAJOR/MINOR department. For example, PSYC301 (a statistics course) and PSYC302 (a research methods course) can be waived if you have completed a similar statistics course such as SOC301 or a research methods course such as SOC303 before departure. You are still eligible to submit an application if you plan to complete these prerequisite courses prior to our departure in May/June 2014.
(3) Application deadline will be 10/01/13 (along with $100 application fee) with the final selection decision announced by 10/15/13. If you are not selected, the $100 application fee will be refunded. Preliminary application can be found at http://louisville.edu/artsandsciences/idop/study-abroad-and-international/summer-programs/study-abroad-2014/NoIreland_PreliminaryApp2014.pdf
(4) An informal interview with the Faculty Director is required prior to selection.
(5) Those selected will be required to complete PSYC404: Intergroup Contact & Conflict Resolution (1- credit hour) during the Spring term 2014.
(6) Selected students must register and will earn 6 credit hours for PSYC408 (Summer Term I). Although the cost of tuition will be waived and class registration is required, a program fee associated with instruction and travel will apply. The program fee is expected to be between $3,000 - $3,500.
(7) If you are selected, you may also be eligible to apply for summer financial aid. Also, the early selection process will allow you time to begin saving for the trip.
If you are interested in applying for this A&S short-term travel abroad course to Bosnia-Herzegovina/Croatia, please ACT FAST!!! Spaces are quickly filling up. Please contact me ASAP at email@example.com so that I may schedule an interview before the October 1st application deadline.