NEW A&S Short-Term Travel Abroad Course: International Service Learning & Research Program: Bosnia-Herzegovina/Croatia
If you are an undergraduate student interested in Peace Psychology, transitional justice, intergroup contact, and international travel to Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, this 2014 Summer Term (May-June) course may be for you (see attached flyer). Based on the pedagogical model of learning-through-doing, 8-10 students will gain practical service-learning experience participating in the Peace Event Sarajevo 2014 ( to be held in Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina from June 6-9, 2014) and working directly on a faculty member’s on-going research project. Students will develop knowledge of the impact that intergroup contact has in assisting conflict resolution, behavioral and mental health, and multicultural psychology.
Although this email may seem a bit premature since international departure is not until May/June 2014, preplanning is critical. If you are interested in this international travel and service learning/research opportunity and if you haven’t already completed the following prerequisites, please plan to register for and complete these prerequisites during the upcoming Fall (i.e., PSYC301 or approved statistics course) and Spring terms (i.e., PSYC302 or approved research methods course or Faculty Director approval) before departure.
Mark your calendar: An information meeting will be held on WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 4th from 12:20-12:45 in LF133. If you are unable to attend, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org .
(1) Application is open to Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, Justice Administration, and Religious Studies Majors and Minors. Students must have a minimum to apply.
(2) Prerequisites include: Cumulative and Major GPA of 3.0, PSYC201, PSYC301 (or approved statistics course), and PSYC302 (research methods or Faculty Director approval). These prerequisite courses must be completed prior to our departure in May 2014.
(3) Application deadline will be 10/01/13 (along with $100 deposit) with the final selection decision announced by 10/20/13. If not selected, the $100 deposit will be refunded.
(4) An informal interview with the Faculty Director is required prior to selection.
(5) Those selected will be required to complete PSYC404: Intergroup Contact & Conflict Resolution (1- credit hour) during the Spring term 2014.
(6) Selected students must register and will earn 6 credit hours for PSYC408 (Summer Term I). Although the cost of tuition will be waived and class registration is required, a program fee associated with instruction and travel will apply. The program fee is expected to be between $3,500 - $4,000. If airline, hotel, and transportation prices decrease, the program fee will be reduced.
(7) If you are selected, you may also be eligible to apply for summer financial aid. Also, the early selection process will allow you time to begin saving for the trip.
Again, I wanted to get the word out to each of you so that if you needed to complete the prerequisites, specifically PSYC301 (or approved statistics course) and 302 (or approved research methods course or Faculty Director approval), you would have time to enroll in the upcoming Fall and Spring terms.
If you are interested in this A&S short-term travel abroad course, please contact me ASAP at email@example.com so that I may add your name to the information distribution list.