Food Literacy Project Job Opening
The FLP is seeking farm-based educators for the 2012 growing season.
Job Opening: Farm-Based Educator
Terms: Seasonal, Non-exempt position. 10-20 hours per week from March through mid-November 2012.
Responsibilities: Farm-based educators deliver direct service to youth, pre-k through adult, on the farm and in local schools and community centers, as well as maintaining our Youth Learning Garden and other program areas. Educators also help with administrative and office tasks associated with managing a small nonprofit, including mailings, running errands, printing of newsletters and other publications, managing program supplies and other tasks as needed. The majority of work is done outdoors, can be physically demanding, and will include some manual labor.
- Bachelor's degree preferred, or equivalent experience
- Experience teaching or working with children or the desire to learn; experience with diverse populations, especially at-risk youth is beneficial.
- Must pass criminal background check
- Be physically able to participate in and lead farm and garden work projects, and to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Shares a commitment to FLP's mission; experience as a volunteer or paid staff for a small, community-based non-profit organization
- Self-directed and organized, with excellent communication skills
- Adaptability, creativity, and independence
- Background in or interest in sustainable agriculture, community food security, cooking, and/or nutrition are also assets