Job Opening at Indiana State Museum
See below for details
Intermittent Archaeology Technician (Part-time) - Indiana State Museum
Location: Marion County
Indiana State Museum
Indianapolis, Marion County, IN
$12/hr; not eligible for benefits
The Archaeology section at the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites (ISMHS) is looking for an intermittent laboratory analyst/cataloger to assist in completing various archaeological field/collections projects.
This position will work closely with other ISMHS archaeology staff on projects that require assistance including but not limited to cataloging field projects from New Harmony and Vincennes, Indiana; and organizing reference collection materials.
• Sorting and identifying archaeological material at a basic level, and cataloging those artifacts in accordance with the guidelines specified by the Indiana State Museum
• Organizing any associated documentation; photographing/editing imagery; and generating provenience and artifact catalogues.
• Secondary responsibilities include, - but are not limited to, assisting with cleaning/preparing artifacts for exhibit or storage and assisting with artifact conservation issues.
Valid High School Diploma or GED, and minimum two years of coursework in Midwestern Archaeology from an accredited college/university
• Previous experience identifying prehistoric and historic artifacts under the close management of an archaeologist.
• Experience working in an archaeology laboratory focused on Midwestern Archaeology.
Employee will work in Indianapolis, a Monday through Friday schedule between the hours of 9 to 5 (no less than 20 hrs/week).
Must be able to work at the museum’s Indianapolis location no less than 20 hours per week, and have ability to lift boxes up to 50 pounds and be comfortable working on a ladder and raised platform.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
The State of Indiana is an Equal Opportunity Employer.