About the School
Welcome to the School of Music!
As Dean, I am very pleased to provide our many guests, friends, and alumni with an introduction to the pages of the University of Louisville School of Music web site. With a long and distinguished history of artistic and educational achievement, the School is building on this record of excellence and extending our programs to new audiences, both national and international in scope. Visitors to our web site will find information that reflects our continued high level of engagement with local opportunities coupled with an expansion of our mission to new venues and horizons.
The School of Music, and all its academic programs, is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music; an organization with approximately 600 accredited institutions. A member since 1936, the School maintains the high standards of artistic achievement and educational excellence expected of all institutions. These features of the School contribute to its unique character and place in the community.
- First and foremost, the School of Music at UofL is an institution with high musical and academic standards whose programs have developed excellent reputations in many fields of study.
- The faculty and student ensemble program is very accomplished and has earned both national and international recognition. As a consequence of this recognition, the University of Louisville recently named the music ensembles program in the School of Music as a University Program of National Excellence, one of only a handful of university programs to hold this designation.
- The well-qualified music faculty, the comprehensive music staff, and extensive facilities, including an outstanding music library, provide the physical and intellectual assets required to build a music school of distinction.
- The Louisville region with its rich arts and educational environment provides many opportunities for the School of Music to engage with professional, amateur, and educational organizations to the mutual benefit of our students and the community.
- A number of academic programs within the School have developed reputations for special strength, with great potential for expanding programs of excellence throughout. Additionally, the association with special programs such as the Grawemeyer Award for Music Composition, the Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops, the New Music Festival, and the Louisville Chamber Music Society bring distinction and recognition to Louisville and the School of Music.
All these characteristics, and many other factors are sufficient cause to celebrate the accomplishments of the School of Music and its important role in the Louisville region. The accomplishments and programs of the School benefit the quality of life for the UofL community and all the people of the region. This mission has been a part of our history since the establishment of the School in 1932 and will always be a part of our planning for the future.
Dean, School of Music
University of Louisville
Documents for the School of Music Dean's Office