Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Personal tools
You are here: Home About

Detachment 295

About AFROTC Detachment 295 - Our history and heritage

 
Doghert Hall

Det 295 is located at the University of Louisville on the Belknap Campus. We're located on the corner of 3rd Street and Eastern Parkway. 

 

Construction of the hall began in 1945 and was completed in 1947. It first entered service as the Naval Sciences building, home to a Naval ROTC unit. Throughout the years, it has also served not only as a center for the Military Sciences, but also as a home to the Student Union and the Math Department. It was renamed on 15 May 1981 in honor of General Russell E. Dougherty (USAF, Ret.) Currently, Air Force ROTC Detachment 295 and Army ROTC Cardinal Battalion are co-based in Dougherty Hall.

Map to Det 295

 

General Dougherty

General Dogherty

General Russell Elliott Dougherty (1920-2007) entered the Army Air Corps during World War II and served in many capacities ranging from flight instructor to administrative duties. In 1974, he became Commander-In-Chief of Strategic Air Command and was charged with the most lethal nuclear arsenal in the world. General Dougherty retired in October 1977 after more than 35 distinguished years of service. 

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

The Flyin' Cardinal Patch

In the background lies a blue field that symbolizes the foundation of an officer's distinguished profession, a foundation built on intense training and dedication.

White stars represent Det 295's proud history of producing outstanding Air Force officers who have served their country unselfishly.

Det295_patchA sharp, polished sword directs these bands (and our training) upward. This signifies the our commitment to excellence and continual improvement.

The black band symbolizes our General Military Corps' basic training.

The silver band symbolizes our Professional Officer Corps' leadership and professional development.

The gold band symbolizes the pinnacle of our training...the gold bars of a second lieutenant.

The cardinal represents our pride in our detachment and our dedication to academic excellence at the University of Louisville.

The inscription "Cardinal Rule" borders the bottom. It represents the ethical and moral standards that we as future officers use as the foundation of our lives.

Related content
Document Actions

Deatchment Logo

Log in


 
Personal tools