College of Education & Human Development
1. What is your favorite thing about advising U of L students?
Observing and guiding development of a vastly diverse student population is an extremely fun thing to witness. When students reach their goals after all of the trials and tribulations of their undergraduate experience, it is very rewarding to see students walk across the stage at graduation.
2. What is your favorite thing about working or living in the city of Louisville?
This is a major college sports town and it is fun to be a part of that community. I always tell people it is one of the best times in history of this institution to be at U of L. The athletic programs, research, and academic units are receiving a bunch of national praise and it is nice to say that you are a tiny piece of that success.
3. How many years have you been advising students?
I have recently joined the College of Education after a couple of years with the J.B. Speed School as an Admissions Counselor Sr.
4. What is your alma mater?
I graduated from Union College in Barbourville, KY. I also recently finished my Masters at Appalachian State University (yes, the school that beat Michigan in football this year.)
5. Name one interesting activity/hobby that you do outside of your profession.
I enjoy all team sports and I join every softball, basketball, soccer, and football team I can find. I played arena football after college for the Charlestown Swamp Foxes (similiar to Louisville Fire).
6. What has been your favorite place to visit?
I love Glacier National Park. I married my wife on the Canada side of Glacier in 2004.
7. If you could visit one place that you have never visited, where would you like to go?
I am actually headed to New Zealand this December for a vacation with my wonderful wife.
8. What was the last book you read?
I've recently read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.
9. If you could interview one living person in the world, who would you pick and why?
I would like to interview Barack Obama. I have read his book and he seems like the most reasonable politician in the presidential race this time around.
10. What is your favorite "saying" or quote?
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." --Plutarch
11. If you had a personal chef for the day, what is the one meal you would request?
Maybe a Kentucky Hot Brown
12. What is one piece of advice that you wish you could tell all U of L students?
Search for clubs and organizations that interest you and get involved. If you do, you will always have a special place in your heart for your time at U of L.
13. What is one thing you are most proud of about your advising experiences at the University of Louisville?
Helping students find true enthusiasm for their acadmic experience and extracurricular activities.
14. What was your favorite band/singer or movie in high school?
Band: Dave Matthews Band Movie: The Program
15. Why did you choose to work for U of L?
When I finished my masters, my wife and I wanted to move either to Cincinnati or Louisville to be closer to family ( I am originally from Cincy and she is from Louisville). I compared lots of universities and found that UofL was my top choice.
16. What question would you like to ask the next "Advisor in the Spotlight"?
What was your favorite moment associated with a college or university (UofL or another institution)?
by Erin Parker