Chapter 33 Transferee

POST 9/11



Transfer of Benefits to Dependents and/or Spouses

The service member’s 36 months of benefits could be transferred to:

  • A spouse
  • Child(ren)
  • Or split between the spouse and child(ren)

VA/DOD will determine eligibility for educational benefits for dependents/spouses.

In order to transfer benefits, the individual must be on active duty and serve for at least 6 years and choose to serve an additional 4 years.

Transfer websites:


To apply for transfer of benefits to your spouse/child(ren), you must first apply through the Department of Defense: .


After your transfer has been approved, the spouse/child(ren) must apply

(complete 1990E) through VA: